Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Friday, May 1, 2009

Mittelschmerz


Mittel=middle and schmerzen=pain in German and mittelschmerz is the term used to describe ovulation pain. I have been having them since Tuesday. And I am supposed to O today or tomorrow.

My ovulation pains come on a couple of days before O, persist and increase before O day. Once I do ovulate, they subside completely. Mine are deep, pinchy cramps on one side, about an inch or two from my hip bones. They come in waves and last only seconds. Nothing too excruciating or anything.
It's weird because when I have AF cramps, they are usually in my low back and never in the front. They are also really intense, sharp, sustained and frequent. By contrast, my O cramps are always in the front, short and more like a deep, dull, aching pinch.
According to this article, Mittelschmerz, or ovulation pain, has four primary causes:
1) Pain can occur at the exact moment of ovulation when the follicle ruptures and the egg is release. It is usually sharp, localized, occurs on only one side and lasts for a few seconds to a minute.
2) Some discomfort may occur from blood and fluid that is released by the follicle at the time of ovulation that irritates the pelvic lining. This pain is generally a dull cramping sensation that can last for several hours to a day. It can be felt on one or both sides.
3) When ovulation occurs, the finger-like ends of the fallopian tube contracts around the ovary, essentially grabbing on to it, in order to receive the egg. This contraction and subsequent stretching of the ligaments around the uterus can cause a general cramping feeling that can last several hours to a day.
4) Each month as the follicles develop before ovulation, they swell on the surface of the ovaries. This swelling can cause a general achy feeling in the lower abdomen that is usually felt on both sides and can last several days, although some women experience it on and off during the entire pre-ovulatory phase of their cycle. Several consistent days of dull, non-localized lower abdominal aching is usually a sign that ovulation will be occurring soon.
Not all women experience mittelschmerz, and those who do may not experience it every month. It is estimated that approximately 1 in 5 women experience mid-cycle pain associated with ovulation. Usually it is mild and lasts only a few minutes to a couple of hours. There is no special treatment suggested for mittelschmerz although if the discomfort is persistent, some doctors recommend over-the-counter analgesics, just as you would use for menstrual cramps.
I welcome the pinchiness because it means my ovaries are getting ready to release an egg and that's key to getting KU. With my weight battles, wonky cycles back in my 20's and unwanted hair growth in certain places, I have always worried that I might have PCOS. I have been tested by an RE (long before we were TTC) and everything came back normal. And now that we're TTC and charting, I realize that my cycles weren't that wonky in my 20's (between 31-34 days), my unwanted hair growth is hereditary as is my propensity to be fluffy. Seems that my ovaries are just fine. Bring on the egg and let's get the party started!

3 comments:

  1. Blerg to the pain! But YAY for ovulation!! Thanks for sharing this article, I learned something today. I've never really had ovulation pain, but some of my girlfriend swear that they can feel the egg being released. It's funny how everyone is so different, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S what it's called! I can never remember it. Growing up whenever I ovulated from the right side we'd freak out that I had an apendix problem because the pain would be this sharp, constant pain right there. Eventually, when it would switch sides, we figure out what it was. Also I notice the ovary I ovulate from gets noticeably larger. Sitting here right now, probably 3-4 days away from ovulation, I can tell you I will be Oing from my left side because it's swollen. And I know I can feel the moment the egg is released. Usually only when I'm in a quiet place, though. If I'm at work I think I ignore it and don't always know. Does that makee sense?

    I didn't think the numbers were that high, though. 1 in 5 is pretty impressive. I wonder if all these women realize what it is.

    And have fun at your "party". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that term before! What an interesting and informative post.

    You know, previously I would have told you that I was in the 4 out of 5 statistic that did not feel anything. Little did I know that I didn't feel anything because I wasn't ovulating!! I have since found that I am in the 1 in 5 group - once we started our fertility treatmens and I was actually O'ing, I could feel it!

    I'm glad you have the added reassurance of knowing you are O'ing now. It should just be a matter of time now! Good luck this cycle!

    ReplyDelete