Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I feel like a defective typewriter

Any Grease fans in the house? Remember this scene?

Marty: What's with you tonight?
Rizzo: I feel like a defective typewriter.
Marty: Huh?
Rizzo: I skipped a period.

Remember my last post, where I got the BFN and a temp drop and figured Aunt Flo was well on her way? Well now things have gotten a little weird.


My period should have started yesterday. And it didn't.

My temperature rose after my last post. And then it fell again.

And I'm getting something that I've marked on my chart as "spotting," although it really isn't; it's just (TMI alert!) a pale brownish/pinkish/orangish tint that I only see when I wipe and that hasn't actually progressed into "real" spotting. It hasn't increased since it started yesterday - just the same amount there when I wipe.

Still, between the spotting and the lowered temp, I'm sure Aunt Flo is going to show - but when? And what's going on with my cycle?
After chatting with the knowledgeable Divasaur, I think that perhaps my luteal phase (the length of time after ovulation but before your period) is lengthening.

Generally, your LP will stay the same from cycle to cycle, and in my case it's always been 12 days. However, it can also lengthen after coming off birth control, as your body regulates itself to its natural state of fertility. Since I became pregnant right off the bat after going off BC and then miscarried, it's possible that my body simply didn't have time to regulate and is only now returning to its preferred luteal length, stretching from 12 days to 14 or more.

If this is what's happening, it's a good thing, since a longer luteal phase indicates higher levels of progesterone, which help sustain a healthy pregnancy. But it's still a pain for someone who is feeling as impatient as I am right now - since it's pretty much a given that I'm not knocked up, all I want is for my period to arrive so I can move on to the next cycle.

Bring on the 'Flo!

1 comment:

  1. All sounds probable, but if she doesn't show soon it wouldn't hurt to POAS again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete