Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Friday, May 8, 2009

Catching the Egg


Well alrighty then…we finally have a OPK+ and Peak reading on the CBEFM. Goodness! It’s nearly a week later than I expected. At CD24 I anticipated being halfway through the 2WW, not still waiting to O. Nonetheless, I am thrilled that it’s finally happening. It ain't over until we have a clear and sustained thermal shift, but all indicators are pointing in the right direction.

And even though Mr. Divasaur and I had planned an every-other-day strategy with the baby-making-sex somehow the more we’ve done it the more we want to and if you’ll look at my chart you’ll see we’ve pretty much been having a marathon for nearly two weeks straight. I am not complaining, but with Mr. D-saur having to work double shifts for the next 3 days (and having had them yesterday too) he’s beat. Tired. Worn out. And yet, he’s a real trooper and he’s coming through (literally) and doing all that he can to make this happen for us. As am I.

I hope he won’t be too disappointed if our valiant efforts don’t result in a BFP this cycle though. I don’t think he quite gets that even with perfect timing we still have about a 20-25% chance of getting pregnant this cycle. It’s an odds game, really. With my delayed O, I could probably test on his birthday (May 22) but I am not sure if I will or not. On the one hand, it could be the best birthday present ever! But then again, seeing a BFN would be pretty sucky on your big day. So we shall see.

I am not planning on charting the 2WW, mainly because I will be out of town and overseas for a week. Seventeen hours ahead of my normal time zone! There’s no way I am even going to try to figure out how to adjust my chart for that. It works out well, really, because after last cycle’s obsessive 2WW debacle (curse FF’s pregnancy points! I had 99 the day AF arrived!) , I promised myself that I wouldn’t chart this time. That said, I may just tuck a cheapie Dollar Tree test or two into the old suitcase in case I get the feeling that I should POAS. I return home on the 21st and if my ovulation calculation is right, that would be 14DPO and the end of my regular LP.




image source

Since I have been waiting, as a patiently as an impatient person can wait, for the egg to be released I have been a Googling fool. I have been wondering if I am actually not delayed, but if my ovaries have different O dates. Like one side is consistently CD17 and the other is more lazy with a CD22-25 debut. I haven’t found much information about this other than one gal on the The Bump’s TTC after 35 board letting me know that she thinks her body does the same thing. Only time can tell. If this isn’t our BFP cycle, then I will continue charting and see if my hunch is correct.

In my Google-mania I have also come across some sites detailing Conscious Conception and the more spiritual side of TTC. It’s pretty fascinating and I found this great meditative exercise to help cultivate patience. I have also read about Lunar Fertility and it is said that if/when ovulation corresponds to a full moon, you can have enhanced or double fertility. I am not sure if I but that one, but hey! Stranger things have happened. And for centuries a woman’s cycle has been tied to the lunar calendar. I definitely believe that a soul chooses us to become his or her parents and that we actually become parents the moment we decide to TTC. From that moment we are already making decisions to better ourselves (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.) for the benefit of a baby that is not even here yet. There’s definitely a shift once your baby becomes a twinkle in your eyes, a thought on your mind and an ache in your heart.




image source


The more I learn about fertility the more I realize that there’s so much more to know. Even the professionals don’t know as much as they should. Case in point— the number of OB/GYNs that discourage their patients from charting altogether. And the bigger misconception that charting is somehow stressful and takes away the fun and spontaneity of making a baby. Most of the women I know never tried to get KU. They just did. On accident. So they really don’t get why I am a BBT-temping, POAS-logging, CM-checking fool. They just don’t get it. And that’s okay if they’d quit telling me to “relax and stop worrying about it all and just sex it up with my hubby when I feel like it.” Ya know what? I could feel like doing it on CD10 or CD28 and completely have missed the egg! It’s really starting to bug me, actually. Which is why I am thankful for the gals on the GP board on The Nest. The majority of them are charting pros and highly encourage newbies to read TCoYF and charting on FF (sometimes through snark— which is an approach I don’t agree with personally). I think that learning about my body and fertility is empowering and not stressful at all. Frustrating? Yes, at times. Fascinating? Always.

3 comments:

  1. Woooooooooooooo for ovulation! As for charting or not charting, you have to do what's right for you. If it works for you, then all the power to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like charting...even though I'm still TTA. I like how much better I understand my body with these simple tools. I can see how some women might get obsessive about it, but I really feel it's good information to have. Yes, you can get KU w/o it, but it's all about increasing the odds and having better timing. That's all it really boils down to, right? I'm definitely with you on this one! It's not a necessity, and I don't look down on women who choose not to, but I definitely don't think you should be berated for choosing to chart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it empowering as well - I have to admit, I really didn't know that much about how my body worked before I started charting. And without it, I NEVER would have known I O'd on CD13 this cycle instead of the usual CD16.

    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete