Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oink oink

I'm almost out of the first trimester, people!

Today I'm 12 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I think I'll choose the beginning of the 13th week as my "official" entry into the second trimester.

Aside: There's some debate about when the second trimester actually begins (ranging from the moment you hit 12 weeks, 13 weeks, 13 weeks 3 days, and some even say 14 weeks!). Yes, 13 weeks sounds good to me, which is also when you enter your 4th month of pregnancy.

Here are a few developmental highlights of the 12th week, from Babycenter:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

The size of a lime, eh?


Image source.


Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. Even if my boobs are the size of a large, ripe grapefruit... each of them... Yikes.

So, what did I do today to celebrate 12 weeks and 3 days of gestating?

No word of a lie, I ate 3 cupcakes that someone brought and left in our lunchroom to share.


Image source.


THREE CUPCAKES! WITHOUT BLINKING. I should be ashamed and embarrassed.

But you know what? I'm not. Actually, I'm still hungry.

1 comment:

  1. My second trimester started at 13 weeks and 3 days. That was the day I woke up and thought, "holy ****, I feel normal!" Since my morning sickness started before I'd even POAS, it was pretty remarkable. So regardless of what any books say, I'm very happy with defining it that way. :) Congrats on your impending trimester switch, and may the second trimester bring you cupcakes that make you feel less hungry.

    ReplyDelete