Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Sunday, July 19, 2009

Telling the parents...

If I have learned anything about my husband and myself in the week since we found out we were pregnant, it is that neither of us is very good at keeping secrets!

Realizing full well how early it is, Mr. Citysaur and I decided to go ahead and tell both sets of parents this weekend. Since his parents are five hours away, we had to do that reveal over the phone. It ended up being an elaborate set up that he cooked up with his sister and she carried out with the help of her three-year-old daughter. The two of them went over to my in-laws' house, and DH planned it out so that he called just after they showed up. After both parents were on the line, DH's sister gave her daughter the signal, and she told her grandparents "I'm gonna be a cousin!" My mother-in-law's first reaction was "What? You're going to do what with the carseat?" After saying it a second time, we got a "Congrats, guys!" from DH's dad, and a "Who's pregnant?" from DH's mom. THEN she caught on! To be fair, DH's brother-in-law has other siblings, so it could've been a cousin on her other side...and I just don't think she was expecting a pregnancy announcement from us just yet. So we definitely surprised them.

For my parents, since they're in town, we decided to do the big reveal in person. I browsed CafePress and ordered them each a button, which I then put inside a card for them.

The package from CafePress barely made it to me in time...in fact, it took our mailman an extra trip to the package center and a special delivery to me to get it in my hands in time. Two thumbs up to the USPS in this case!
So I had it all planned out. We arrived at their house super early to catch the first showing of Harry Potter with them. I wanted to wait until after, so we could have plenty of time to talk. After turned out to be almost 2 PM, once we were all finished with lunch at their house. The waiting was torture! I was nervous all morning, all during the movie, and even while eating lunch. Poor Mr. Citysaur didn't help either. My mom noticed a change in his behavior almost as soon as we got to their house, and even called him out on it on the way to the movie! We tried to play it off, but she never bought it, not really.
So I finally handed her the card, and her very first reaction was "I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!" Then I got a huge hug and she said "My baby's having a baby!" She is thrilled for her first grandchild, and wanted to wear the button to work tomorrow! I asked her to hold off for a while, until we're ready to announce it to the world, and she reluctantly agreed.
Things were a little different with my father. I know in my heart of hearts that he is thrilled for us. But I think it was difficult for him to share in this happy announcement with us, not knowing whether he will actually get to meet our baby or not. After listening to us talk for a while, he went to his room and napped for a bit. Before we left, he made sure and told me that he's really, really happy for us, even if it didn't seem like it. I know he's telling the truth.
It is such a strange mix of emotions - the highest highs and the lowest lows. The joy of a new life mixed in with the last months of another. At times, I wonder what I've gotten myself into. I'm already seeing that I'm now not only going to lose my father soon, but I'm going to be doing it with the crazy hormones of a pregnant woman. I ended up leaving my parents' house in kind of a funk, and it's been a down day since then. I know that's just the life of someone affected by cancer...and the raging hormones certainly don't help.
The good news is that Mr. Citysaur has been absolutely beyond amazing through all of this. If I could've imagined exactly what I wanted in a husband/father of my children - even that wouldn't have come close to him. I know it sounds cheesy, but he has shown his true colors through all of this, and I know he will be my rock, no matter what happens. For now, I'm just going to try to revel in the still-new fact that we are PREGNANT! and not dwell too much on the other things.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment