Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Eleven Weeks

It seems in the past week or so my "symptoms" have worsened, just when, according to my pregnancy books and sites, they should be lessening up a bit and I should be feeling good. Not. My skin has broken out worse than ever before in my life! Today, I've counted 10 zits on my face, when "normally" a breakout for me is one or two.

My fatigue is as strong as ever and the past few days I have found that despite getting to bed early I still struggle in the morning to get up. I have resorted to setting FOUR alarms at 15 minute intervals to finally rouse me from my sleep. Perhaps I am extra tired because I am not really sleeping well. Between midnight trips to the bathroom and crazy dreams that make me feel like I have been working all night rather than resting, I cannot say that I am awakening in the morning feeling refreshed. We have started keeping our two pugs out of the bedroom at night in an effort to make the room more restful (and to train them, in advance of the baby's arrival, to sleep on their own in the living room).

My appetite vacillates from voracious to absent and my nausea really kicks in around 4:00 p.m. so I try my best to eat the majority of my food by lunchtime. Staples are whole grain tortillas, low fat cheese, crackers, grapes, strawberries, low fat yogurt, OJ, high fiber cereal with milk (sometimes it upsets my stomach though) and occasionally, steak or chicken. Notice no vegetables! Despite my general love of all green veggies, the very smell of them these days turns me green, and not in a good way. I swear, I am consuming the diet of a 3 year old. I am praying that as the end of the first trimester draws to a close, that my energy will return, my skin will clear up and my appetite will normalize so that I can enjoy an evening meal of grilled chicken and broccoli once again!

Speaking of the end of the first trimester, we have our 2nd ultrasound appointment this week on Thursday. Technically I will be 11w2d. I asked if they were doing screening tests and got kind of a convoluted answer from the nurse. She said, yes they do screenings but didn't tell me which ones. So we shall see.

If everything goes well I plan to announce my pregnancy at work on Friday. I know it's a couple of weeks before the official end of the first trimester at 13w3d, but given that I am working a week-long conference next week that we're sponsoring, I want my colleagues to be aware of my pregnancy. Especially because it's a demanding schedule. We're scheduled from 7:30 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. each day with one hour breaks for meals. I am definitely going to need more downtime than that and already talked to the one person I work with who is also going and already knows I am pregnant. We're in charge of this conference, including the scheduling and we've worked it out so that I can have more breaks throughout the day. But I don't want my other colleagues to think I am slacking. I figure that if they know that I am pregnant, they'll know why I am not scheduled to be moving heavy equipment or why I'll need to take a 15 minute break at 4:30 p.m. or why I might not be at the evening events for the entire time. I am lucky in that I work for a 100% women run organization. I plan to ask my doctor for a note just to keep everything on the up and up, but I also know that the women I work with will be more than understanding and most likely, excited to know that I have a baby on the way.

Here's hoping I make it through next week in one piece! I already plan to have snacks on hand to keep my nausea at bay and my energy levels even keeled. You never know what you're going to get with hotel conference-style banquet food. Some sort of overcooked veggies and meat with sauce, not doubt. Blech! If worst comes to worst I plan to order room service and get eggs and toast or some other fare that is less offensive and more edible. We are going with business casual dress, so I can bring my Cole Haan - Nike Air flats and leave my heels at home. I am hoping I can get through the week without exhausting myself. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Here's what's happening with our Little Being this week. From BabyCenter:
Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden. She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccuping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment