Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thirty-Seven Weeks

I am actually 38 weeks pregnant today, but I hadn't done my 37 week post yet. And in 4 days (or less) I won't be pregnant anymore. I cannot believe it. This last 4-5 weeks have just flown by! And oddly enough, she may just decide to come on her own. On Friday I lost my mucus plug and had my bloody show. I have been feeling more and more pressure down low and have had 3-4 contractions and hour for 1-2 hours. So maybe I will be able to avoid my induction after all? Only time will tell for sure.

This past week I have wrapped up things at my office in anticipation of my maternity leave beginning. It's weird to think I'll be off for 10 weeks! The last time I had that length of time off was the summer break of my freshman year in high school! So...that'll be strange. Of course, I'll be busy figuring out all the things that new mothers need to figure out. I have been feeling overwhelmed by some of that! I mean, I know I am prepared. But at the same time I have that feeling I used to get right before final exams in college...knowing I had studied and was prepared and yet, I still had a nagging thought in my head, "I hope I am ready."

The good news is, mothering is a process...and I know I will just have to learn along the way. I have recently read "The No Cry Sleep-Solution" and "The Baby Whisperer" and have realized that I just need to pick and chose what works for me, my husband and most of all, our daughter. There is no one way to do this!

I am also a multi-tasker so I have been really talking to myself about being okay with "just" being there for my baby. Breast-feeding and not doing anything else (reading, talking on the phone, watching TV, etc.). Napping often. I want to take these first weeks to just get to know my baby and for her to get to know me. I'll never have this time again. So I plan to embrace it. And cry if I need to...and ask my DH and mom for help. And let my DH figure things out for himself too. I've already promised him that he will not hear "you're not doing it right" out of my mouth. I want him to feel empowered as a dad to learn about his daughter the same way I need to learn about her. Thankfully, he's taking two weeks off of work to be home. He'll have school a few hours a week, but otherwise, we'll all be home together. And our furbabies will need to adjust too and I want to be sure give them the attention they'll be needing as well. So these next few days are about getting ready to bring the baby home.

According to BabyCenter, here's what's happening this week:

Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away.

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.


0 thoughts:

Post a Comment