Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Sunday, January 31, 2010

The countdown begins

Today I am 27 weeks pregnant, and officially in the third trimester.

Or possibly not, if you go by the calculations that the third tri starts at 28 weeks. I can't get a definite answer anywhere...some websites and books say 27 weeks, others say 28 (one even said 29!), but since my neatnik brain likes the idea of the 40 weeks divided into three even trimesters of 13.3 weeks, I'm going with 27 weeks.


I'm leaving work in just 4 weeks; although my maternity leave doesn't start until April 4, I've saved up enough vacation time and sick leave that I'm taking the entire month of March off as well - and honestly, it couldn't come a moment too soon, as simple things are getting more physically challenging every day. I'm looking forward to being able to potter around the house getting things organized and taking naps whenever I feel like it!


And I'm down to single digits in the weekly countdown to when these babies will be born - if they arrive at 36 weeks (which is the average for twins), that's only 9 weeks away! I feel like we still have so much to do, so much to prepare before they arrive. The nursery is nowhere near ready, the cloth diaper stash hasn't even begun...I know I still have plenty of time, but there's also part of me that's shrieking, "OMGholycrapweonlyhavetwomonths!!!!!!!!"


My goal is to get all - or at least most - of that stuff done by 32 weeks, which is only 5 weeks away. I think it's doable, considering that we already have all of our major items (cribs, carseats, stroller, etc.) ordered, so we mostly just need to start the actual process of setting up the nursery by painting and decorating, along with buying a few smaller odds and ends (for example, swaddling blankets, bottles, etc., plus the diaper stash). Does 32 weeks seem reasonable with an expectation of a 36 week due date?

It's so incredible to think that we could be meeting these babies in just over two months; I remember when this pregnancy first started, just making it to the 12 week mark seemed like an eternity...and now here I am, entering third tri and starting the countdown!

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! I am SO excited for you! These weeks are going to fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow time has gone by fast. I remember you announcing your pregnancy! I am still so amazed by your maternity leave. I wish we had something like that here. Good Luck with the nursery I can't wait to see the picts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I like the idea of the three trimesters divided equally too! I am thinking the same things as you like how much there is left to do, and I'm not having twins! It seems like the time went slow up to this point, but now it's just racing by! I hope the next four weeks of work go easy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things go smoothly for you in the next 5 weeks and you are able to get all of your list accomplished. I think you will - you are so organized! Can't wait to see pics of your twins!

    ReplyDelete