Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Slowing it down...

My weight gain, that is.

Mr. Citysaur and I went to see the midwife for our latest check-up yesterday, and almost everything was great. Baby's measuring well, heart rate sounded good, everything was right on track. Except, of course, for the weight gain.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but at 23 weeks, I'm up 25 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I've had a weight problem my entire life, so I'm really not surprised. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised.

Here I must say, I absolutely LOVE our midwives! There are two that practice at the birth center, and the one we saw yesterday was wonderful. She took out lots of time yesterday to sit and talk with us about our concerns, and then hers as well. She explained clearly and directly, but without being condescending, that I absolutely must not continue to gain weight at this rate. She said that if I do, we will not be giving birth at the birth center - and will most likely have complications that will result in a much less pleasant birth experience than what we're hoping for.

But in addition to all of that, she spent plenty of time explaining what I needed to do differently. She's putting me on a diet. She wants me to watch my carbs and eliminate all sweets. That's right - all sweets, two days before Thanksgiving and a month before Christmas. I should more or less eat like I'm on the South Beach diet. And I need to be exercising every single day.

It's all fairly elementary stuff, and I know I can handle it. I lost 80 pounds in college on Weight Watchers - so I know I can do it. And this time, it isn't just for me - it's for our son too.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment