Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Update and Planning for a Future

If I was right, I ovulated last Tuesday and that would put me in the middle of my two week wait. For the last week I have been feeling bloated and my boobs have been tender but I try not to analyze because this is my second cycle ovulating. This is only my second time ovulating in 7 years because of B.C. I am trying not to get my hopes up. While I have been wavering with my emotions about TTC my husband has completely jumped on the baby wagon. I know that he has always wanted children but now he is on overdrive and I think part of it is because we just found out his best friend is expecting.


I do want a child I know that much, but I also want to go back to graduate school. Since it is too late for this year its going to be next fall which gives me enough time to research colleges and prepare to take the GRE again (I did terrible the first time I took it). Then I started thinking about what it would be like to have a child while getting my Masters degree. I know I don't have to make any decisions right now but I am a planner and I am questioning if we should continue TTC after the new year. If we do get pregnant before then GREAT, but if not then I should ovulate one more time this year if my body continues these long cycles. I am questioning stopping TTC after the new year so I can go back to school with out worries. Its not just the going back with a child that concerns me, it is because I want to become a TA (teachers assistant) because my end goal is to become a professor and having that experience would be so beneficial for me. I know that I am rambling does anyone have any advice for me or gone through something like this before?


  1. This is a hard decision. On the one hand, the drive to TTC is strong, and you could even TTC for the next entire year before discovering that you have an issue like fertility problems - so even if you keep going, you're not necessarily guaranteed a baby that will interfere with your plans (I'm not saying this will happen - just that it COULD).

    On the other hand, you have good, solid reasons for stopping for a while, and you may be a lot more comfortable with putting TTC on hold for a while so that you can feel more comfortable and committed to going back to school, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

    The one piece of advice I'd give you is to get to the bottom of why your husband is so gung ho. If it's because he wants to start a family, then that's great! If it's because he's feeling kind of competitive (for lack of a better word) with his best friend, then in my opinion at least, that's not a great reason to make such a life changing decision.

    This is a tough decision - good luck!

  2. Bibliosaur, you have valid points Thank You for your input I appreciate it.

  3. This is a tough decision... But there is no reason you can't go back to school and have a baby. It might be tougher, but it could be done.

    But I would follow your heart. If you are having serious doubts, you might take a break from TTC, and just enjoy the BD, and see how it goes.

    And I'm with Bibliosaur, make sure hubby isn't gung ho because his buddy is.