Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pregnancy shenanigans

I wish I could blog about one topic -- but my mind is just filled with randomness. In fact, I wrote an entire blog the other day and went to edit it and somehow ended up deleting it. I blame it on the 'pregnancy brain.'

Update on the name game:
Nope, Mr. Shopasaur & I are still unsuccessful in naming our little one. But since I've been debating names for so long I have accumulated my favorite name resources and they are as follow:
Nameberry: Wonderful, wonderful site + blog. They also have a great book, "Cool Names for Babies," which I found pretty helpful.
Baby Name Wizard: I also own this book, which has been an invaluable resource. My favorite part of the book is that they suggest names that match your 'naming style.'
---Name Voyager : Allows you to explore name trends (very helpful)
Nymbler: Suggests other names you might like based on what you provide
The Bump: Not the greatest name site, but the ladies on the baby names board are brutally honest [caution: & sometimes rather snarky]
You Can't Call It "It" : Baby name blog
Appellation Mountain: Baby name blog
Much Ado About Naming: Baby name blog
SSA Baby Names: Quite possibly the most helpful website-- allows you to see which names are most popular in the state you live. Of course, the 'newest' list won't come out until May, which might be too late for us.
*One other option to find out which names are being used in the area you live is to look up hospitals in your city-- some of them include pictures/names of recent births*

Mid to late third trimester symptoms:
1. Swollen fingers / feet
I had to finally take off my precious engagement ring. All of a sudden my fingers/feet feel incredibly swollen and uncomfortable. I'm terribly sad about it (I didn't think I would need to give up my rings!), but don't want to panic like I did when my ring wouldn't come off!

2. Backache
This symptom has been plaguing me from mid to late 2nd tri., but seems amplified now. I think it's due to massive weight gain & my huge belly.

3. Acid reflux/heartburn
From what I've read, this is due to the baby/belly pushing stomach acids back up into the esophagus. It's extremely unpleasant, but Tums provides an easy fix.

4. Frequent urination
This seems to be most annoying for me at night. It seems ironic that in the last few weeks you want to savor sleep and relaxation, and yet you're unable to b/c you're constantly getting up to pee!

Starting around 28-30ish weeks I started seeing my doctor every two weeks. Initially I was looking forward to bi-weekly appointments because waiting to hear baby's heartbeat for a month seemed so long! However . . . these bi-weekly appointments are becoming a PITA. It doesn't help that my doctor's office is in town and I live around 30 minutes (without traffic) from town. Starting next week [36 weeks], I will see my doctor every week. It is also the week that my doctor starts doing an internal exam to see how dilated I am! I am both scared and excited that the end is approaching! Excited to meet our little one-- & scared for the entire idea of delivery (possible tearing--- eeep! and just pain in general). I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that in 5 weeks or less I will be pushing a baby out of my body. . . :

Comments from others:
I previously mentioned that pregnancy seems to take away the social filter that people NORMALLY have. Here are some new comments I've received:
You look like you're going to give birth tomorrow!
You really should think about buying new clothes ... the ones you're wearing now are getting really tight!
(Gee, thanks ... )
You're getting REALLY big . . . I think you're going to give birth early. (Because everyone is an expert in pregnancy)
Gosh, how much weight have you gained? You got huge all of a sudden.

Ugh. That's all I have to say. The belly-touching doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but the comments continue to baffle me. The last thing a pregnant woman wants to hear is how HUGE she looks. I already feel unsexy, unattractive and just plain uncomfortable. Since when was it EVER okay to ask a woman how much she's gained?!

The end of my rant.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! I think... Eeek. I'm not sure if you scared the hell out of me or gave me some insight into where I'm headed. I will definitely check out those baby name links - big help! As for the other stuff... I am still in denial that I'm going to push this thing out my you know... One. Day. At. A. Time!

    ReplyDelete