Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Monday, April 13, 2009

On to the next cycle...

The good thing about charting is that you can tell when your period is coming. The bad thing about charting is that you can tell your period is coming.

My temps dropped on DPO11 & 12 so I figured AF was on it's way. I wasn't all that surprised since I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms, but I was still disappointed. We only BDed the day FF says I ovulated, which isn't ideal. We missed the three days prior and the two after. It was CD30 so we were kinda burnt out from "trying" so much earlier in my cycle. I didn't think I would O that late. Since it was my first real cycle off BCP (because I didn't get AF when I was supposed with my last pack of pills), I had no idea how long it would be. Now I know. Maybe. My cycles have always been irregular. They were always 5-6 weeks before I started BCP and it seems they've reverted back to that now that I'm off the pill.

I know it's only been a couple months since we started TTC, but I've always been afraid that I'd have fertility problems since my cycles have always been irregular. I'm trying not to stress about it, but for peace of mind I bought the new First Response Fertility Test. It's supposed to test your FSH on the 3rd day of your menstrual cycle to determine your fertility potential. According to the website, "If your ovarian reserve (eggs) is low in quantity or quality, your pituitary will produce higher than normal FSH levels early in the cycle, trying to stimulate your ovaries to produce a mature egg. In other words, when your quantity or quality of eggs (fertility potential) is low, your FSH level may be high." If my test ends up being abnormal, at least I know early on and can see my doctor for further testing.

Anyone else try this test? Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to chime in here because I have always had irregular cycles, and it (apparently) was not a problem with getting KU. So don't worry yourself too much because it might not be a problem for you AT ALL!

    FYI though, I did not start charting until I had been off the pill for several months. I went off in the middle of my pill pack at the very start of July. I charted my first month in Oct and by then things were pretty regular.

    So if you JUST got off BCP, give it a few months. And be positive! No worries! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Politisaur. I'm hoping it won't be an issue but I'm a worrier by nature, I think. I know it doesn't help and probably makes it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the new fertility test - the FSH levels are one of MANY things that the doctors test for. If you are running out of eggs so to speak, this is a good test to use. If you are older than 35, this could be the case. Or, if you are under 35 and have "premature ovarian failure" it would show up on this test. However, there is a spectrum and this test will only give you a yes or no if it is over a certain level. You won't know what that level is, it could be only 0.5 over that level. So yes, you can use this test and it could tell you there are potential fertility problems but it won't tell you how bad it is (or how minor it is). If you get a higher than normal result, you'll just know you need to go to the doctor to get the actual value measured. If you get a normal value, then that only means your FSH is normal. There are still a whole host of other things that could be wrong that could cause problems with fertility - you've only ruled out one thing. So this test may give you reassurance that you've still got enough eggs left to where you don't need to jump to treatments ASAP, but it won't tell you if you are fertile.

    That said, try not to worry just yet - it's still very early on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know it's only one thing and I know that there's so much else that could be wrong or nothing at all. But I guess to me it's something easily accessible so why not try it? And it was fine. I'm just so impatient! =P

    ReplyDelete