Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The name game

The very first thing that Mr. Shopasaur and I did when we found out we were KU was to think of a few names that we liked and would consider naming Baby Shopasaur [Don't all parents do this?!]. Our first list consisted of one boy's name (Brody) and a few girl names; Bailey, Lily, Jillian. . . none of which screamed out, "THAT'S IT!"

Fast forward 20 weeks and we discovered that Baby Shopasaur indeed, was a little girl.

10 weeks after that, and we're still drawing a blank to what Baby Shopasaur's real name will be.

It's not that we haven't tried to decide on a name-- in fact, in front of me sits "100,000 Baby Names: The most complete, fascinating, and helpful name book you can find"-- & I seriously think that Mr. Shopasaur and I have perused through every.single.girl's name.in the.book. HOWEVER. Every name that was suggested was shot down for various reasons.

For example:
Madison: LOVE this name (so does Mr. Shopasaur!). It however appears that so do fifty trillion other parents in the United States-- and I really don't want Baby Shopasaur to be the next "Stacey" or "Jennifer"-- nothing against the Stacey's or Jennifer's in the world (my best friend's name happens to be Stacey), but I personally know at least 3 of each.
Lily: Beautiful name that could potentially "age" with a child-- but I have an elder aunt with that name and a girlfriend's mom with that name. It also appears to be rising on the popularity charts.
Mia: Our next door neighbor's daughter's name is Mia and idk ... it might seem like we're copying them? [P.S. We live in a townhouse and walls are very thin--- it just seems a little TOO close for comfort]
Sadie: Mr. Shopasaur liked this name when he first heard it-- personally, to me it sounds like a dog's name. He thinks I'm ridiculous for thinking this, of course.
Bailey: Same as above.
Brynn: I liked it, Mr. S. didn't.

. . . and so on and so forth. You get the picture. I'm sure some of you are reading this and think I'm completely insane for being SO picky about a name-- for goodness sakes, who cares, right? And the answer is that I do. I think a name says so much about a child-- and their parents. This article is only one of many that states how important a name is in a child's future.

So where does that leave us? Basically, where we started off 31 weeks ago. That means we have 9 weeks (give or take) to decide on the "perfect" name for our little one-- but if we haven't found it in 31 weeks, I'm at my wit's end that we won't find it within the next 9.

On a more Shopasaur note. . . my fabulous Mr. Shopasaur did buy me the Gucci diaper bag I previously mentioned.

And one last thing: On TheBump many future mommies-to-be talk about a "push present"-- essentially a present for the new mommy for enduring all of the aches and pains of pregnancy. Has anyone heard of this? If so... what's on your push present wish- list? I'll save mines for my next post. :)

1 comment:

  1. Funny! Sounds like our talks about names, except that we are limitd to A and F names. I should post about that...

    Wanted to comment, though, about the Push Present! Yes, I have heard of this! DH has also, but he says it's just nonesense. I should remind him of what I want, however... A nice pair of diamond earrings! I doubt I'll get that though. But that's what I want!!!

    ReplyDelete