Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Monday, March 16, 2009

Menstrual...

... synchrony?

Once we had decided when we wanted to start TTC, I stopped using birth control two months prior, figuring it would take my body a few months to get back into its own groove. Surprisingly, that did not take very long and by charting, I was quickly able to pinpoint ovulation to around CD19-24.

I had only been charting for two months when I seemed to have the cycle that would never end. Of course my first thought was that I might be pregnant! But I POAS and got a BFN - this was on CD39. My cycles have always averaged around 33 to 38 days - which is why I decided to test on CD39. With a BFN, all I could really do was wait... and wait... and wait... until CD 41 when FF informed me that I O'd on CD38! I almost always have a 14 day LP, and just like clockwork, AF showed up after CD52.

That's one heck of a long cycle, you're thinking, right? Actually, some women, especially those with PCOS, have cycles that are even longer... sometimes 100+ days! I don't have PCOS, so that wasn't the case with me, but it was shortly after AF showed up that I figured out what was going on with my cycle. You see, I had 3 new coworkers join my office around the same time I started this cycle. Most women are aware of menstrual synchrony, but I still encounter a few that do not.

Apparently, there's something about our pheromones that causes women that spend a lot of time together to start cycling together. When I realized that this was what was probably going on, I asked everyone around me when they had gotten their period. Sure enough, all seven of the other women with whom I worked had simultaneously received a visit from AF within the last couple of days, confirming my suspicions! Interestingly enough, some reported that AF came early and some said she was late - so I wasn't the only one suffering from menstrual synchronization!

So, if you're just starting to actively TTC, be aware that not only will your body require some time to readjust to being off of birth control, but it might also take a little extra time if your body is trying to synchronize with all of the women around you!

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment