Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Monday, March 16, 2009

Eye candy

As my name suggests, I love photography. I've always appreciated great photography. If I had known at an earlier age that it was possible to make a career out of it, I definitely would have pursued it. Even now I secretly dream of changing careers, though all the technical stuff is very new to me.

My first camera was this 110 film Hello Kitty camera:


I loved it, but sadly I lost it at Circus Circus while playing video games. (Note to self, do not entrust a 6 year old with valuables!) I got another one, which I still have somewhere. I wonder if it still works?

Somewhere down the road I graduated to a 35 mm point and shoot camera and then on to one with APS film cartridges, which were pretty cool at the time. I finally went digital in 2004 but it wasn't until last year that I discovered the DSLR. For those not in the know, a DSLR = digital single-lens reflex camera. Basically it gives you the freedom to manually adjust all your settings and change the lens to make amazing photographs. It's what all the professionals use. And I was fortunate enough that my dear friend gave me her old Canon 20D to play with. At first I was completely overwhelmed and had no idea what all the settings did. Slowly, though, I've learned how to take some pretty nice photos.

Okay, so I know what you're thinking. What does this have to do with pregnancy and babies? Well, during the craziness of wedding planning and researching photographers I discovered that most great photographers these days have blogs where they post some of their recent work. Photographers also often blog about their photographer friends so one blog can lead you to another blog and suddenly you're subscribing to 30 photo blogs in your Google reader!

I digress. Somewhere, somehow, some photographer's blog led me to one of my current faves, Drew B, a wedding and portrait photographer based in Orange County, California. She often blogs photos of her adorable son Brayden and recently started a new blog called Momtog, "For moms who love photography". I absolutely love her style of photography. She takes amazing photos of newborns and I really love the photos of couples with their newborns. And how cute is her logo?!


Carrie Sandoval of Captured by Carrie is another popular newborn photographer. Her style is a lot like Anne Geddes. She recently photographed wedding photographers Chenin and Doug Boutwell and their newborn son, Max. The Boutwells are the geniuses behind Totally Rad Actions, Photoshop actions that are used by many of the great photographers around right now. You know a photographer hired by other photographers has to be good.

I'm excited that when I have a baby I'll always have an available, if not willing, subject to practice my photography skills on. And I'll have tons of photos that document his or her life. Perhaps someday I'll be as good as Drew B and make the career switch? A girl can always dream.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the picture with the baby and the dog :) Please let the Shopasaur family if you decide to become a photographer!

    ReplyDelete