Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The dark side

I was very interested to read this comment from CryBabyInk on my last post - she mentioned that she's glad I'm continuing to blog, because 'pregnancy is more than ribbons and rainbows, there's the "reality" of it too...m/c, infertility and all sorts of other issues are the dark side.'

The reason this came to my attention was because of a conversation I recently had with other women going through the same thing - the discussion was about whether or not we would discuss our miscarriages openly, after the initial rawness had passed. My first instinct was, "yes - of course." I found it strange that anyone would even ask that...until I started thinking about it.
[all charms from here]

I had no idea how many women I knew had suffered a miscarriage until now. It's not discussed. And I can understand why - it's agonizing. Every time you tell someone, you're ripping open the wound again. But at the same time - I had no idea how many women I knew had suffered a miscarriage. I was shocked at how many women in my personal circle came forward to say, "I've been there." In some cases, not only did I not know at the time, but I didn't even know months or years after it happened - I didn't find out until it happened to me.

I had no idea.
Although our society has become far more open about sex, pregnancy and childbirth, there is still a kind of dense fog surrounding miscarriage. For something that happens to one out of every five pregnancies, there is a deadly amount of silence surrounding it.
There seems to be an underlying sense of shame and secrecy about it. It's almost as though it's a disease, as though there's a kind of karmic reasoning that you must not have deserved a baby for some reason; as a society, I think we have a difficult time accepting that things happen without a reason, especially regarding tragedies - that life simply isn't fair. Sadly, the silence makes it seem as though somehow we are to blame. And this is horrible, because trust me, we don't need any help blaming ourselves: was it something I ate? Something I didn't eat? Too much exercise? Too much fat? When a baby is growing inside your body, you feel responsible even if there was nothing you could have - or shouldn't have - done.
Right now, if I could single-handedly change one thing about the world, this would be it. I want people to understand how common miscarriage is. I want people to understand that most of the time, it's not anyone's fault - it just happens. I want it to be accepted and discussed so people understand the right thing to say when they find out (more on that in another post). I want women going through this to understand that they're not alone right from the start, that there is a massive sisterhood of support available.
I guess what I'm trying to say is...I'm continuing to post because I want to be open about this. I want people to realize that it happens all the time to women all around them, and they may not even know. I want people to understand the rage and pain and sorrow and frustration that we feel inside. I don't want to be secretive, because that makes it feel shameful, like I did something wrong. The things I talk about might not be pretty or always happy, but they will be honest - hopefully I can help bring miscarriage out into the light a little more, even if it's just in my own tiny world.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I'm "that" girl that when people ask me, "So, is this your first baby?" I almost always say, "No, we lost our first." And I too am still surprised when the reply to that is, "Yeah the same thing happened to us."

    I'm looking forward to your post about the things poeple say when they find out, maybe the girls who have experienced it can comment about things (supportive, not supportive and things that were probably meant to be supportive but just sucked) people say when they find out.

    Another thing that amazes me about miscarriage is that it's one of those things that you never think you can survive. But somehow, we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this blog. I am(was) 8 weeks and it looks as if things aren't going to work out...HCG levels are dropping, sac is measuring 8 weeks with just a yolk sac. We have another u/s Thursday and then a possible D&C afterwards. This would have been our first baby and even though I get the "this is nature's way" speach from everyone, I still can't shake the anger and guilt I feel..that somehow I am being punished for something, or hubby is getting punished for making babies with me. Knowing that there are women here to talk and share with really helps get me through the day. Thank you again for being so open and caring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud your attitude even as you continue to deal with your own sadness, anger, guilt and loss. I am sorry for every woman in the world who has had to silently carry this pain with her. You're right. It's just not something that is acknowledged openly and yet I am keenly aware of the risks (hence The Unknown post I wrote) because they have touched the lives of those near and dear to me.

    I felt similarly after I was raped by an acquaintance. This was nearly 20 years ago when it just started being talked about on college campuses. When the odds are that 1 in 4 females will endure a similar fate it pissed me off that no one was talking about it openly. I remember the looks on peoples faces when I shared this part of my history. Mainly it was shock. But like you I talked and continue to talk about to hopefully crack open the silence that surrounds it.

    I know people struggle to deal with tragedy (their own or other's) and maybe we're all being "sensitive" to their needs by not talking about it openly, but like you, yes the wound hurts and runs deep but it's like talking about it actually is like a salve or balm that helps it heal.

    I pray that with each passing day you continue to heal...you will never forget this pain and loss, but someday, in time, it won't feel so raw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so beautiful. I love the charms. And I couldn't agree more. Bless you for speaking openly about this... I am sure your honesty and openness will help others. And it touches my heart to read anything you write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your eloquence and being so open and honest about your tragedy. Your original post broke my heart, I was in tears while reading it.
    I wish I knew what to say to help make it better, so I'm looking forward to reading your posts on the "right" thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the way you have been so open in your writing about your loss, it really touched my heart.

    In reading this it is not anyway on the same level as yours but I can relate...now that we are in the process of finding out why we cannot conceive that I am finding a lot of people in my circle that have gone through the samething and like the miscarrage topic the infertility topic for the most part is a hush hush topic as well. Most people just look at you funny and think WTF is a matter with you everyone can get pregnant.

    Thanks again for your lovely posts. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete