Browneyedsaur Dreamersaur Eiresaur Hungrysaur Jerseysaur Laughosaur Join Us


Sunday, March 22, 2009

Could've done without that

Work today was kind of a bust...I made it to noon before I pretty much had a total breakdown. Luckily there was just me and my supervisor (who is also a friend and knows what's going on) there at the time. So I've come home at lunchtime instead of staying at work the rest of the day. I thought maybe things would be OK today, and I'm trying to get back to normal, but I guess it's just too soon still. Anyway, there was a box waiting on the doorstep when I got home.


I was a little confused until I opened it up and saw this:


It was the pregnancy books I ordered a couple weeks ago (books in Australia are ridiculously expensive - it's significantly cheaper for me to get them shipped from the States than buy locally).


Two for Mr. Bibliosaur, two for me.


My Boys Can Swim. A funny (yet not condescending) and realistic look at pregnancy, written by and for a man. I wanted something entertaining to break him in gently.


The Expectant Father. A entire book (not just the usual chapter relegated to the back of a woman's guide) written about what fathers-to-be can experience emotionally, financially and physically. I loved that this is a (relatively) serious book that is totally about the father - there aren't many of these books out there.


Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. I wanted something technical, written by actual doctors, not full of hearsay or personal experience or just funny stories. This is one of the few no-nonsense books that's still accessible to someone without a medical background, and I appreciate that it's from such a reputable source.


The Pregnancy Bible. More modern, less biased and more positive than What to Expect When You're Expecting, and featuring fewer models than The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I also chose it because it has a fabulous week-by-week section, instead of buying Your Pregnancy Week By Week separately (this is the sole reason I chose it over The Mother of All Pregnancy Books, which didn't seem to have the weekly guide). It's gotten some flack for using nude photos of pregnant women instead of drawings to illustrate changes in your body, etc., but I actually like that.

When I ordered these, I was eagerly hoping they'd arrive before next week - we're going on an 11 night cruise (we planned it as our last big baby-free vacation), and I wanted to take them with me to read by the pool.

Yup. Could've done without this today.

4 comments:

  1. The bullet's you'll have to dodge over the next few weeks/months will be unavoidable. Totally benign things under "normal" circumstances will bring you to tears unexpectantly. My husband and I went to see the move "21" when it came out in theaters last year, I'm guessing it was about a month after my m/c. I was doing fine, getting through full days without crying , then at the end of the movie, the credits roll to a Rolling Stones song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and I just lost it. Really? The Rolling Stones brought me to tears? Yep, and there was nothing I could do about it. You won't always feel as raw as you do now, it's all part of the greiving process. You deal the best way you can. Cry when you need to, get angry when you need to.

    Your doctor sounds so wonderful, you're lucky to have someone who can address the physical as well as emotional drop kick you've just gone though.

    I'm really glad that you're continuing to do this blog, pregnancy is more that ribbons and rainbows, there's the "reality" of it too, like Divasaur said below, even though it's more than likely that a woman & her baby will get through unscathed, m/c, infertility and all sorts of other issues are the dark side to what will most likely be the most important thing we do in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry. That just sucks. I am secretly jealous of your new book collection though. Those were the exact titles I have on my secret BOTB wish list at Amazon.com. The silver lining (I am an eternal optimist you know) is that you are now uber-prepared for when you get pg again. And you will. When you're ready to try, they'll be there for you. Until then, take the time you need to heal...physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What bad timing for Amazon. Boo! Pack the books up and put them in a corner. But not a distant corner. You will need them soon. And when you do, you'll be SO GLAD to know that they are sitting there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me...that damn Amazon takes too long to ship to AU, I tell you! I just stuffed them on a seldom-used shelf in our spare room along with all the other baby stuff and didn't look at them until I got knocked up again. I'm slowly pulling out all of that stuff again, the further along I get. You will be reading them before you know it, hon!

    PS You have great taste in books. Mayo Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy = best pregnancy book ever.

    ReplyDelete